Friday, February 22, 2008

Shaq Sighting!


As many of you know, Shaquille O'Neal was recently traded to the Phoenix Suns...and it's been a big deal around here! In fact, his first game was just two days ago against the LA Lakers - unfortunatley the Suns lost! Well, today we had our first Shaq sighting at none other than the now famous and fabulous Ahwatukee Subway! I was sitting in the car with the kids while Nate went in to order. Literally two minutes after Nate got in line, here comes Shaq walking down the sidewalk right in front of my all too cool mini-van! :-) There is no mistaking him--he is really as tall as they say he is! He even had to duck to get in under the already tall doorway. It was amusing to watch all the people in line turn their heads trying to decide if it was really him! A guy who owned a smoothie business a couple of doors down came running in with a poster to sign. A young girl ran back out to her car and returned with a Phoenix Suns t-shirt. Two guys came out and I could hear them say, "Did you see those crazy pants he was wearing?" It was pretty fun to be a "fly in the car" and watch everybody's reaction! Finally, when Nate did come back out (it took him forever and I was pretty sure that he had invited himself to eat lunch with Shaq - although he insists that it was because they couldn't get Shaq's footlong order right!) I asked him where my Shaq signature was. I figured that was the least he could get for me since I waited in the car with two busy and starving kids. Unfortunately, Nate informed me that he didn't have anything on him that Shaq could sign. Oh, but wait! As Nate was getting back in the car with our sandwiches, out walks the big guy! Nate tells him, "Hey we're glad to have you here in Phoenix, good luck with your game tonight!" He replied, "Thanks, man!" and he looked in the car where I had Madison sitting on my lap in the driver's seat and said to her, "Hi Baby! Good thing ya look like your mamma and not your daddy!" We all laughed and Nate and I watched (and discreetly took a photo with our cellphone camera) as he walked over and hopped into his big black Diesel! I think I like this guy!

10 comments:

Megan said...

Ahwatukee huh? How funny!!!

Christine said...

Ha! How cool. He seems like a decent guy. Can you imagine if your life was like that-people staring everywhere you went. By the way Maddison looks just like Ellie!

Michelle Y. said...

Wow, that really is so cool. I bet that made your day that he said that to you :) What I don't get is how random people can have a jersey or a poster for him to sign when they are at Subway. Do they just carry it around with them? That really is such a great story! Thanks for watching the kids last night!

Chelsea said...

What the heck were you doing at the Awatukee Subway! :) But glad you did choose that one! How awesome!! Jer would have died. He is so happy about the trade. He even talked to you guys! Bonus! and yes Madison does look just like you, I love the last post about her. I want one of her!

foreveryoung said...

What a fun brush with fame! I bet all those fans inside would be jealous to know that you got a personal visit from the big man himself!

Chris said...

Lori:

Dad and I just read your Shaq news, and we're excited! How cool. What a fun story to tell your grandkids! Dad thinks you could be a professional journalist--you've got the writing style down pat. We love your blog and it's great to be able to share news of the kids and your fun experiences. Love to all, Grandma and Grandpa T.

Pam Jorgensen said...

Nice! You should have grabbed a Subway napkin or something!! Great story.

Aarick May said...

Hey guys! Its Eric. I randomnly, and i mean randomnly, was browsing through different blogs, and happend to come upon yours. Thats an awesome Shaq story. I guess hes at Subway trying out the Jared Subway Diet to drop some weight and maybe keep up with the rest of his team! Love your pics. Your kids are getting huge!

Nichols Family said...

Hey, I didn't know you had a blog! Saw yours from Angie's links...stop by mine sometime! Awesome you guys saw Shaq! Once we saw him at the airport in LA...but we were too afraid to go up and ask for a picture w/him because tons of people were and he looked a little too anxious. Excited about the trade! :)
-Jennie

Chelsea said...

Lori--you're FIRED! Update already!