Sunday, November 16, 2008

Confession

We broke all tradition tonight! It's true...we put up a Christmas Tree before Thanksgiving. {Gasp!} I know, you are thinking we are horrible, unthankful people! More confessions? We've resorted to artificial. {Gasp!} Yep, two of them! This would have never happened to us in Washington or Virginia. I've always dug my heels in and insisted on a fresh, evergreen scented, pine needles everywhere type of tree. How can you have artificial when you are surrounded by the real thing?
And, we've always waited until the day after Thanksgiving when we'd put our boots and gloves on, pack the car with a saw and some twine, find ourselves a U-Cut Christmas tree farm and pick out the most beautiful tree we could find. So what happened this year? I've just got the bug even though the sun is still shining brightly, there is no sign of snow or inclement weather and I haven't even made a single Christmas present purchase. So tonight we lugged the Christmas tree box off the top shelf in the garage, pieced the tree together like a puzzle, fluffed it's branches, plugged it in and voila, we've got ourselves a tree! A little different that what we are used to, but the kiddos still had the "It's Beginning To Feel a Lot Like Christmas" smile written all over their faces!

Of course, the webkinz had to make it into the picture too!


Oh, I guess I'd better confess this too... I've been listening to 99.9FM for all you locals. Hey, they are playing it and I'm listening to it! I know Mom, I'm breaking a BIG rule!

10 comments:

Christine said...

I love it! I decorated on Nov 1st! And don't feel like Thanksgiving is getting the shaft-I still enjoy the food and holdiay just as much!

Pam Jorgensen said...

I've been listening too. I get funny looks cuz I roll my windows down in this beautiful weather and have it blasting! It's all part of the "holiday season"!

Megan said...

Wow!! Already?? Maybe I can't do it yet because we are having Thanksgiving at my house - and I want it to feel like fall for a little longer. Although, I do listen to 99.9 - my kids love it too. I wish the holidays were spread out a little more so we could enjoy them all!

Chelsea said...

YAY! I'm not the only crazy! We decorated on Sunday! all except the tree and outside lights. Hey its a looong day without tv or video games, I had to find something to kill some time! plus I was really anxious and Brayden has been begging for weeks. I actually took all my Thanksgiving decor down, it never even made it to the day, poor Thanksgiving. Oh well. I love the webkinz in the picture too, they are part of the family now! i never see your kids without them!

foreveryoung said...

Oh you rebel, you! I'm not judging, I put my Halloween stuff up in September :)

Bunch of Brooks' said...

You're good; very good. I just was asking Mark if we could get away without ANY decorations this year since we'll be gone the entire Christmas vacation. I know, boring, but I AM atleast listening to 99.9 for some holiday music! Hey what are you guys doing for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Are you off to Utah?

Nichols Family said...

We'll be putting ours up this weekend too! Exciting! Still looking for a wreath I love though. I try to decorate as LONG as possible! I grew up in a household where my mom would seriously only have our tree up for like a week. GOOD FOR YOU!

Unknown said...

You and Christine! But guess what? I would have my Christmas tree up too if I only had the energy! We do have our outside lights up, but that's because we never took them down last year! Lori, I met your friend Lauren Richins in Charlottesville - a friend of Christine's. Isn't it a small world!

Michelle Y. said...

I am just like you! I listen to 99.9 as soon as they put it on. I love Christmas and we put our tree Thanksgiving night. I can't get enough of Christmas and I want to enjoy it as long as I can especially since every year we go to CA for 2 weeks so I feel like I only get to see my decorations for 2-3 weeks and then we leave for vacation. I would love to have the V.T. girls at my house this month since you helped me out last month :)

Trish said...

Oh, Lori, I'm with ya. I didn't get my tree up before Thanksgiving this year, but I nearly always do. I think you need that little extra 'umph' when there isn't any slush to clean off of the floors or wood-burning stove smell filling the outoors. Oh, yes, I understand. And really, I often don't make it to Halloween before ol' Bing Crosby starts crooning to me!